Thanksgiving was early this year – but that just gives you more time to enjoy the holiday season if you ask me. I’ve got my holiday spirit cranked up to 10 but if you aren’t there yet, here’s a list of things for you to try to make you feel as festive as I do:
- Drink a cup of hot chocolate. It makes you feel all warm inside and packs a sugar rush! My favorite this time of year is Swiss Miss Peppermint Hot Chocolate – in comes in envelopes and K-cups!
- Watch a Christmas movie. Last night I watched Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire – strictly speaking, it covers a whole year of holidays but it was the movie that gave us the song “White Christmas!” It was on AMC, but if you don’t have the patience to wait for a holiday movie on the biggest cable channels, try Hallmark Movies or Lifetime – they’re playing holiday movies 24/7. Or if you can wait a few days, it will be 25 day s of Christmas on Freeform!
- Bake cookies. Need I say more? I’m planning on adding Grinch cookies and Cherry Chocolate Shortbread cookies to my baking list this year.
- Have some fun with Christmas lights. Who says lights are just for the tree? I have a string of Christmas lights that are a phone charger cable too – can’t wait to plug them in at work!
- Christmas crafts – I made a new wreath for my front door this year for less than $10. Just a wire wreath form and a bunch of ribbon I bought on Christmas clearance last year; then I added some berries I found on a sale rack this fall. An hour or so of cutting and tying ribbon onto the form and ta-da! Festive front door!
- Volunteer somewhere. Or be a secret Santa for a needy person or family. Nothing will bring out your holiday spirit like doing something nice for someone else. I love being a secret Santa – planning surprises is as much of a present to me as the gifts “Santa” delivers!
- Sing a carol. Go ahead – you know Jingle Bells is playing in your head right now! Check your radio – I’ll bet one of the stations has holiday music on that you can sing along with.
That should get you started – tell me what gets you in the holiday mood in the comments!